Friday, June 27, 2008

Getting Over Injury

I have to admit...it sucks being in Eugene and not have the ability to go for a nice long run.

For the last six months, I have been trying to get through an injury that has limited my running ability. It started as hamstring pain in my right leg and later became, quite literally, a pain in the right side of my butt. After months of self conjecture and an initial errant diagnosis as IT band syndrome, it seems the root of the pain is in my lower back. Ironic, isn't it, that my back doesn't hurt, but the pain refers itself down the right side.

So, after a couple of months of physical therapy, I am finally back to putting a few steps in. Right now no more than three six-minute jog segments (9 minute pace or slower) with a two minute walk before each one.

Still, you can't come to Eugene and not run. So it was up onto the bike and a short ride from the UO campus to Pre's Trail at Alton Baker Park. The bark-chipped trail is well maintained by volunteers along what was one of Steve Prefontaine's favorite routes. The trail was perfect. Nicely padded and made for a nice run before it gets excrutiatingly hot (high of 92 expected today).

Make no mistake about it: Eugene is a runner's town, and even more so over the next few days. I couldn't go a minute without seeing another runner. Many faster than I could go, but others slower. I was in good company. It's an appropriate sight in the town where the concept of "jogging" was introduced to American by Bill Bowerman nearly 50 years ago.

Still, it makes me yearn for the day that I can put in a 4-5 miler and enjoy the sights, get back in shape and enjoy getting back into racing. I miss it. It is my release.

The Eugene 08 Festival is getting ready to open. Outside my window, the theme from "Chariots of Fire" plays. Oh, for another long run. Hopefully soon.

No comments: