Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fulfilling The Dream...Vicariously


Those of you who are close to me know that I will be spending the end of June and beginning of July at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials in Eugene. I have the honor to be part of the media relations staff for what many consider to be the world's greatest track meet.

Working high-profile sports events is something I really like to do, but the Trials are special. It's a dream come true and the fulfillment of a dream that was never truly realized.

In Oregon, the large high school state meet is held annually at Hayward Field, which is Mecca for American track & field enthusiasts. I was always good enough to make it into the field at the state meet as a prep runner, and probably would have run well against those loaded fields in the 3,000 meters.

Unfortunately, qualifying standards kept me from towing the line on Hayward's Mondo lanes. My junior year best time of 9:08.7 would have been competitive in the 1993 state meet. A third place finish, however, behind a winning of 8:55 by Grants Pass' Steve Reynaud and an 8:59 by Klamath Union teammate Russ Bjerke, kept me out of the meet. Another third place finish my senior year kept me home again.

I watched the 1993 Oregon state meet from the stands. My parents tried to sooth my disappointment by taking me to Eugene to watch the meet.

Fifteen years later, I still remember that disappointment. The satisfaction, however, has been that I am good enough as a sports information director to be trusted to be a part of the media relations effort at the Trials. It's not the same as being on the track, but still an honor to be part.

Maybe I can live a little through former KU runner Ian Dobson, who has the fifth fastest qualifying time in the 5,000 meters.

THE CoSIDA TAKE: To be a part of the Trials, I did elect not to attend this year's CoSIDA Convention, which takes place June 28-July 1 in Tampa, Fla. I weighed that decision heavily as I take my role of the organization's Board of Directors quite seriously.

I am sure I will take some heat from those who feel that I am shirking my board responsibility by not attending the decision, especially from those who feel like I should not be on the board in the first place for a second term. The fact is, working the Olympic Trials is a personal and professional opportunity that I truly could not pass up. The CoSIDA Convention is every year. The Trials are every four years and won't always be in my back yard.

Hopefully people will agree with what CoSIDA President Charles Bloom said when I consulted with him about the decision. "Your leadership in CoSIDA is a year-long effort, not just at the Workshop. You need to take this opportunity."

No comments: