Thursday, May 7, 2009

33 Years And Getting Younger

I gave myself a cool gift for my 33rd birthday. I went out and ran six miles.

Not your idea of a cool gift? Well consider this. It has been a long time since I have run that kind of distance. Can't remember the last time. With my past two injury problems, the wheels have always come off at five miles.

The sun come out around the lunch hour and I headed out on a loop that I know well, but haven't run on for at least five years. The shoulders along Stringtown Rd., west of Forest Grove, are minimal at best, but the lack of car traffic makes it ideal. Not much activity going on other than the action at the surrounding nurseries and the occasional person working in their yard.

It was nice. I moved along at what felt like a smooth pace, determined to go farther than I have in a while. I didn't really start feeling things until I got off B Street and headed towards Main St. The legs kept pumping, but it was obvious that they were working hard.

I came through at 46:03. A pace of around 7:55 per mile, which is faster than I wanted. Even though I should be running the longer runs more slowly (want to keep any injuries from flaing back up), I smiled. My fitness is improving, and it shows.

Hopefully I am not jinxing myself, but it feels good to be back. Thirty-three is not old at all, but this body has taken its share of injuries. I certainly don't want to revisit any of those by doing too much, too fast. I want to keep getting younger and getting faster. The journey has been good so far. I think its only going to get better.

I was on a great streak with my running until the end of March when the job and a chance to work the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament stunted things a bit. I am just now getting back to where things are feeling easy and I have that desire, that taste to hit the roads. It feels great. Gotta keep it going.

It was a birthday gift and a birthday challenge. How did you challenge yourself on your birthday?

No comments: